4:25 PM

Current Grocery List Leads to Revelation

I get really nostalgic for Hawaii sometimes. So much that I get teary eyes at times.
I think part of it is that I could buy Japanese food without any hassle whatsoever (other than the fact that the cost of groceries in Hawaii is exorbitantly high).

New Orleans, unfortunately, is pretty devoid of Asian food other than the endless sushi restaurants that dot St. Charles and Oak street. I'm not knocking the restaurants, some of them are really good, they even have real Japanese people cooking, but I need authentic Japanese *food* (not sushi) sometimes because... well... that's all I really know how to cook. I got used to it when living in Honolulu, and I got even more used to it each time I went to Japan.

I tried seeing if Don Quixote had online ordering but no! Damn I miss that store... Anyone from Hawaii knows exactly what I'm referring to. Cheap Korean electronics and awesome asian foodstuffs. All rolled up in the raping of the Spanish culture. Mmm.

So I've been reduced to ordering groceries online. I'm still looking for the perfect site that has everything I want.

Here's the list so far:
- dried seaweed
- Jasmine rice 3 lbs
- udon tsuyu
- gyoza sauce
- kewpie mayonnaise
- soba tsuyu
- salmon furikake
- golden curry mild
- maruman organic white miso
- pietro sauce

still looking for:
- gyoza
- tofu
- a decent rice cooker >: (
- okonomiyaki sauce
- ramen ingredients

I'm just tired of wanting to cry every time I go into a grocery store here. In some way, eating Japanese food is comforting to me, and if I have to be reduced to shopping online for my groceries, then so be it. It's not really any more expensive than buying them in the store.

1 comments:

Masako said...

Oh no! Sorry to hear about your poor luck at groceries there. :(

Escape-to-Japan time soon, maybe? ;D