12:33 PM

Art Dump: 3D projects from my hawaii days

Here are some projects I did while I was in Hawaii that have a more sculptural focus- something I don't particularly excel at, but here we are.


Woodshooop! That was a definite *experience* The assignment was to make a stool. I wanted a fun project sooo... Mario Mushroom!

Little did I know the painstaking process they'd put us through. We had to cut the board of wood up into specific sized strips (I think it was 1"x2"s) and then recombine them into whatever we needed. This made me take thrice as long to complete the project, since I had to spin it all on the lathe anyway. My boyfriend was supposed to assist me to make it go faster, but he was forced to leave the workshop because he was considered "a liability".

Materials: Poplar, reddish stain that turned out to be the wrong color, permanent marker



I'll admit that I'm not the best at ceramics. In fact, that one class almost made me want to stop majoring in art. Sitting at the wheel at 2 AM struggling to make the damn clay even center for 34,356th time isn't my cup of tea, and I stayed in a violent rage.

But! This hand built blueberry cake was pretty fun to make :D

I forgot which type of clay I used specifically. Probably some sort of earthenware.




On October 2, 2007 my grandma died suddenly and I interrupted my classes to fly back home for a week for the funeral. There was a lot of controversy surrounding her death and a lot of family spreading vicious rumors and pointing fingers. It was exhausting and more difficult for me to deal with than the deaths of my other two grandparents, probably because it was so unexpected.

So when I returned to school, I made this piece. I still maintain the fact that I am shite at ceramics, but this is my favorite project of that class.

Materials: Earthenware, tenmoku

0 comments: